LANGUAGE PANDA is a crowd-sourced, searchable database for teaching of foreign languages with digital resources.
The materials, projects, and assignments found on this site are the products of instructors that wish to engage in an ongoing dialog about what it means to teach in the digital age by sharing their lessons and feedback with other teachers. As communication has taken an increasingly digital form, we have come to recognize the value of designing language lessons that practice technology-based interactions. The projects of this repository are not meant to incorporate technology for technology’s sake, but rather are meant to enhance language instruction.
THE GOALS OF LANGUAGE PANDA:
1) Provide a searchable database where instructional materials may be collected and shared at no cost
2) Facilitate an online community that can provide constructive input and offer innovative new ideas for teaching language and keeping students engaged
3) Offer a platform for introducing and promoting the use of digital tools that further foreign-language learning objectives
4) Share a variety of projects guided by best practices in language teaching and the ACTFL Statement on the Role of Technology in the Classroom
5) Promote the growing scholarship of teaching and learning related to digital tools.
Our mission is driven by the core values of cooperation, experimentation, collegiality, and education. As instructors, we are teaching in an interconnected world, and yet, our lesson plans, resources, and pedagogical approaches may not be widely available online. In the spirit of cooperation and open access, this site brings together diverse materials in a single space and provides a forum to a discussion of how digital pedagogy is practiced across a variety of campuses and institutions. To that end, this platform is intended to reach a broad audience; we invite contributions from experienced and novice instructors, K-12 teachers and higher education professors.
THE HOME OF LANGUAGE PANDA: CENTER FOR SECOND LANGUAGE STUDIES (CSLS)
The Center for Second Language Studies at Vanderbilt University facilitates excellence in teaching and learning by offering spaces, resources, and programs designed for foreign language instruction. On campus, Vanderbilt instructors use CSLS for class activities, professional development workshops, and technology training. Learners can attend language-themed events, play language games, and practice conversation with graduate-student fellows. The Center for Second Language Studies, with the support of a team of graduate students and faculty affiliates, researches, gathers, organizes and moderates content for Language Panda. Beyond our own campus, we also cultivate a community dedicated to teaching and learning via collaborations with other language centers, labs and departments. In addition to our existing partnership with Colgate University, we are continuing to build a network with other institutions.